Articles and posts from Silver Magpies archives and the best silver information resources on the web are here in a carefully selected collection.
Silver Information on Silver Magpies:
- How to clean silver – there is one single thing that prevents people from using and enjoying silver, the whole polishing/cleaning issue is the heart of the matter. Read this and perhaps change your mind!
- Silver Marks Guidebooks – a list of reference and guidebooks that will provide the essential basics every silver collector needs to know.
- Understanding English Silver Marks – what do all those little hieroglyphics mean on English silver?
- American Silver Marks – Silver marks in the US found on sterling and coin silver.
- Antique silver | Definition of Silver – ‘real silver’ is more than just 925 aka sterling, also lots of pieces look like they are silver but they aren’t.
- Monograms Part 1 – Tiffany silver and monograms.
- Monogram Removals – Look closely and learn to see what to look for.
Silversmith for repairs and conservation:
- Jeffrey Herman Silver Repair and Conservation – Jeff is a highly regarded silversmith who works with an impressive array of museums and other public institutions.
Antiquing in Europe:
- Antiquing in England – Services and information to find the best pieces AND get them home again, safely and easily.
Other on-line resources of silver information:
No guide to silver marks, English hallmarks or other sterling marks would be complete with mentioning
- 925-1000 – the online encyclopedia of silver marks, hallmarks, and makers marks
- Silver Collection It – Giorgio B’s massive website of marks of all kinds.
A word must be said here about the generosity of the developers of these sites. The quality and quantity of information on them is incredible.
Are you interested in learning more about antique and vintage silver?
Enter your email address below and click “Subscribe”. You’ll receive
- free email updates updates
- my e-book ‘Every Day Best’
- and free shipping on your orders with Silver Magpies.
A word here regarding the products, books, or people I recommend on this site. I want to be absolutely transparent in letting you know, that with the exception of the items in my own inventory, I have no financial or marketing affiliations whatsoever with any person, company, product, site, etc.. All recommendations are made on the basis of personal experience that I paid the regular retail price for. I do not accept advertising or endorsements on Silver Magpies. My freedom of opinion is too important.